Last year the debut Silicon Valley Comic Con (SVCC) was held at the San Jose Convention Center in San Jose, California, playing host to approximately 60,000 people. This year’s con (to be held April 21-23, 2017) looks to be even larger, in part because SVCC has just announced a slate of events taking place outside the convention center, in the Plaza de Cesar Chavez Park and adjoining Market Street. These events will be available to the public, although badged attendees are promised special access, including dedicated lines and ticket discounts.
While panels and the exhibit hall will be hosted inside the convention center (and only available to badged attendees), the outside festival will include the following:
- Food Trucks
- Beer Garden & Winery
- SVCC Science Fair:
- Saturday: “Save the Planet” (earth and health sciences) in honor of Earth Day
- Sunday: “Technology of the Future” (robotics, space travel & coding)
- Outdoor Stage for speakers, performances, product demos, brand activations, science experiments and more
- Movie Screenings Fri & Sat nights
- Educational and Interactive Displays from Children’s Discovery Museum, NASA and more.
- Canine Cosplay Contest Presented by DogVacay
- Water Stations Provided by Essentia Water
- Car Cosplay Displays
While I am excited to see these additional events, as well as the inclusion of the general public (anything to educate people about the fun and benefits of comic cons is great by me) I am especially excited to see that there will be food trucks. The availabilty of food at last year’s con was severely lacking, and the food trucks will be a welcome addition.
Are you excited about the outdoor festival at SVCC 2017? Join the conversation at FoCC!