by Transmute Jun
Laika, the animation studio behind films such as The Boxtrolls, ParaNorman and Coraline, is setting up an interactive pop-up event in San Diego this month. Unlike many pop culture activations, this event will be open on July 14, nearly a week before San Diego Comic Con (SDCC) begins, allowing local residents and early con attendees a chance to see the exhibit before the crowds arrive en masse. The exhibit will be held at 520 Fifth Ave. in the Gaslamp. Admission is free.
The Laika Experience will give visitors a chance to look into the making of Laika’s films, with exhibits showcasing props from all of their movies, including sets, puppets and monsters. Fans will also be able to take photos with characters from each of the films in a photo/GIF booth, and purchase film-related merchandise. Costumed characters from the films will be walking around the Gaslamp during the Laika Experience activation.
The Laika Experience Hours of Operation are as follows:
- Friday, July 14: 2 PM to 10PM
- Saturday, July 15: 11AM to 10 PM
- Sunday, July 16: 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM
- Monday -Tuesday, July 17-18: 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- Wednesday, July 19: 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM
- Thursday, July 20: 11:00 AM to 11 PM
- Friday, July 21: 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM
- Saturday, July 22: 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM
- Sunday, July 23: 10:00 AM-6:00 PM
Are you planning on visiting the Laika Experience? Join the conversation at FoCC!