Author Topic: CCI vs. SLCC  (Read 18590 times)

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 66
Re: CCI vs. SLCC
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2015, 07:13:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I hope SDCC doesn't start targeting other comic conventions after this one.

True...but then I think SLCC just outright pissed them off with the car and stuff...anywho saw this on SLCC FB and thought it was weird.. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2015, 09:05:58 AM »

San Diego Comic-Con expands its lawsuit against Salt Lake Comic Con

As San Diego Comic-Con's name dispute with Salt Lake Comic Con approaches a federal trial, the bigger, older pop-culture convention is expanding its litigation against the smaller, burgeoning one.

San Diego sued Salt Lake last year in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California for trademark infringement, alleging that the name of Salt Lake City's event was too similar.

Shortly after negotiations between the two conventions broke down last month, the Salt Lake convention took a victory lap when the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office granted a trademark on its name.

But San Diego's legal team shot back that the patent office's decision doesn't change anything - San Diego had no say in that process - and that they want to cancel that trademark with administrative litigation, said San Diego's lead attorney Peter Hahn. They also want to block Salt Lake from a logo trademark.

On Friday afternoon, the conventions' dispute finally got a schedule - though it's a long way off. Magistrate Judge Jan Adler set a pretrial conference for Oct. 3, 2016, when a different judge will decide on a trial date.

"This case has been dragging on a bit," Hahn said Friday. Adler wanted to move the suit along, as did San Diego, Hahn added.

Technically, San Diego has the hyphenated version of "Comic-Con" trademarked, not "comic con." However, its legal team has argued that the similarity of "Comic Con" in Salt Lake's name, without the hyphen, has confused people into thinking the event is somehow associated with San Diego's convention.

As Salt Lake's organizers see it, this legal battle isn't just between them and the flagship convention; it's a threat to the dozens of other comic book conventions around the world that also use the "comic con" name. Salt Lake Comic Con co-founder and chief marketing officer Bryan Brandenburg previously asserted that if San Diego wins this case, the precedent will allow it to do this to other organizations.

And co-founder Dan Farr has said that while his convention has a second, strong brand name - in the form of its sister event, FanX - to fall back on in lieu of using "comic con," most other organizations don't.

In court documents, San Diego has suggested Salt Lake use the FanX name for both events.

Salt Lake and San Diego negotiated for months - and even reportedly neared a settlement, with Brandenburg saying they hoped to start a "bromance" with the larger convention last January. But those talks broke down earlier this summer. Brandenburg said they were unwilling to give San Diego what it wanted.

A settlement could still be reached before the trial. Adler wants both conventions to submit their final offers by Aug. 11, 2016.

In the meantime, Salt Lake is proceeding with Salt Lake Comic Con 2015 with the name intact. In its third year, the event is slated for Sept. 24-26 at the Salt Palace Convention Center.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #92 on: Today at 02:26:33 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2015, 09:09:21 AM »
Am I the only person who is completely over this? Just settle it already and let the rest of us go on with our lives.

Sorry... morning snark,, I guess...

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2015, 08:00:21 PM »

Judge gives SLC, San Diego one last chance to settle ‘Comic Con’ fight

SAN DIEGO - A federal judge has given Salt Lake City Comic Con and San Diego Comic-Con one last chance to settle their legal spat over the use of the words “Comic Con.”

In an order filed in San Diego federal court last week, U.S. Magistrate Judge Jan Adler gave both comic conventions until August 18, 2016 to reach a settlement. Meanwhile, Judge Adler also set a timeline for the name dispute, beginning with an October hearing before another judge. Based on the deadlines, it appears the lawsuit between San Diego Comic-Con and Salt Lake Comic Con would go to trial in late 2016 or early 2017.

In comments to FOX 13 in July, Salt Lake Comic Con organizer Bryan Brandenburg said no settlement had been reached and the two sides were headed for trial. San Diego Comic-Con is suing Salt Lake Comic Con for infringing on its trademarks by using the words “Comic Con.” Salt Lake Comic Con points out there are numerous other “comic cons.”

Salt Lake Comic Con was recently granted a trademark for its name, something the group hopes will help it should the lawsuit by San Diego Comic-Con go to trial.

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2015, 12:51:30 AM »

Settlement talks underway in lawsuit against Salt Lake Comic Con

SALT LAKE CITY - Settlement talks are under way between San Diego Comic-Con and Salt Lake Comic Con over the use of the words “comic con,” FOX 13 is told.

Lawyers for both conventions met with a federal judge in San Diego on Tuesday to update the status of the lawsuit. Salt Lake Comic Con co-founder Bryan Brandenburg said both sides were working to reach an agreement.

“The judge wanted us to check in to see if progress had been made in the settlement. We reported the parties are still working out an agreement, but that we haven’t reached settlement, at least not yet,” he told FOX 13.

Brandenburg would not reveal any details about an possible settlement. The judge scheduled another hearing next month.

San Diego Comic-Con sued Salt Lake Comic Con for trademark infringement for use of the words “comic con.” Salt Lake Comic Con insists it has broken no laws and pointed to dozens of similar events around the country with similar names.

With thousands expected in downtown Salt Lake City for this weekend’s Salt Lake Comic Con, the name appears to be on the banners for at least another year.

“If you go down to the Salt Palace this weekend, it will be called ‘Salt Lake Comic Con,'” Brandenburg said.

Offline Bert Su

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2015, 09:39:53 PM »
I hope CCI can see eye to eye with the Salt Lake group, and they should keep the name. SLCC should be called by what it is, a comic convention.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to my YouTube channel for Transformers reviews

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2015, 07:11:33 PM »
This won't help.  :)

This article popped up in my feed because I have apparently at some time in the past shown an interest in SDCC.

I.e., "Interested in San Diego Comic-Con International?  Yes No".

Title reads: "Busted Star Wars Fan Bemoans 'Stupid Mistake' at Comic Con" but story is about SLCC.

Some similar articles Google served up.

"Utah man accused of posing as officer for Comic Con passes"

"Prosecutors: Man posed as USAF agent to get VIP Comic Con passes"

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2015, 11:35:14 PM »

Salt Lake Comic Con’s FanX will conflict with L.A.’s Wondercon

The feud between Salt Lake Comic Con and San Diego Comic-Con shows no signs of resolution. In fact, a new front has opened in the battle.

Last week, Comic-Con International, the parent company of San Diego Comic-Con, posted a reminder on its blog that its sister show, WonderCon, is coming up on Easter weekend, March 25-27, at the Los Angeles Convention Center. (This is a new location for WonderCon, which in years past made its home in nearby Anaheim, Calif.)

"One of the challenges we face with conventions our size is that there are very few dates the Salt Palace has available in the spring or fall," Salt Lake Comic Con co-founder Dan Farr said in an email to The Salt Lake Tribune. "We did hope for other options, but that was the only available date for us."

A spokesman for Comic-Con International told The Salt Lake Tribune that WonderCon's dates were reported in media outlets as far back as April.

The two companies still are entangled in a legal battle, with the San Diego organization suing the Salt Lake group over use of the phrase "comic con." Comic-Con International reportedly was rankled when the first FanX, in 2014, was scheduled the same weekend as that year's WonderCon. (Both sides said the schedule conflict between FanX and WonderCon should have no bearing on the legal dispute.)

Having the two events on the same weekend may make for fierce competition, particularly when it comes to booking celebrity guests.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2015, 12:13:39 AM »
I don't think it's gonna matter.  Studios send talent to WC.....things like this SL thing are paid engagements,  booked through the talent's agent. If a studio wants to send its talent to WC, it's their job to go to WC.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2015, 06:10:23 AM »
I'm actually surprised that there is a con in Utah being held on Easter Weekend. The Easter holiday will prevent a large number of residents from attending, more so than in California.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2015, 03:34:19 PM »
Complete non-issue. They were both on Easter Weekend in 2014 and they both had record attendance. There are published figures saying 85-90% of SLCC’s attendees from Utah...neither is pulling on the other conventions’ attendees.

SLCC’s cons are Thursday through Saturday, so Easter day is open.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2015, 04:19:28 PM »
SLCC’s cons are Thursday through Saturday, so Easter day is open.

True, but Good Friday is actually a more important holiday in terms of religious significance.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2015, 05:12:35 PM »
Mormons don't really do anything on Good Friday.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
My Twitter

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
Mormons don't really do anything on Good Friday.

Really? I didn't know that. Then again, I'm not Mormon.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2015, 05:28:25 PM »
They believe in the bible and all, but in my experience growing up Mormon, there is no Good Friday service or anything. That's really a big Catholic thing though I believe.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
My Twitter