Author Topic: CCI vs. SLCC  (Read 18586 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: CCI vs. SLCC
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2015, 05:31:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They believe in the bible and all, but in my experience growing up Mormon, there is no Good Friday service or anything. That's really a big Catholic thing though I believe.

It's also big for the non-Mormon Protestants. From a religious standpoint, the single most important thing that Jesus did was to die for the sins for humanity. Being raised from the dead is secondary to that. At least, that's what I was told growing up, and it was my understanding that this belief was shared amongst other Christian denominations as well.

Anyhow, I just find it interesting that the Mormons in Utah wouldn't have a problem going to con on Good Friday, but won't attend on any Sunday (even a normal Sunday).

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2015, 05:52:50 PM »
All of this bec of one ad-wrapped car...

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #107 on: Today at 02:41:23 PM »

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2015, 06:45:41 PM »

San Diego, Salt Lake Comic Con talking about a settlement again

Settlement talks have resumed between Salt Lake Comic Con and San Diego Comic-Con, in a trademark infringement dispute which had seemed destined for a federal trial.

San Diego sued Salt Lake in the U.S. District Court of Southern California in 2014, alleging the younger, smaller convention's name is too similar. Salt Lake has refuted this. After an attempt to settle the case failed earlier this year, the two were on track for a showdown in federal court.

But when attorneys for the two conventions met again on Monday, "we felt that everybody was still trying to work toward settlement in good faith," said C.J. Veverka, an attorney for Salt Lake. The case is still proceeding, but the talks are going on in parallel with that, he added.

Magistrate Judge Jan M. Adler has ordered the two conventions to meet on Nov. 23 for a formal settlement conference.

"Having a judge present during your settlement negotiations can often times be good medicine to help you reach [a deal]," Veverka said.

Even if a settlement isn't reached by the meeting, the door is still open for one later, Veverka added.

"We're optimistic to settle this year," Salt Lake Comic Con co-founder Bryan Brandenburg said.

Adler's order does not affect the schedule laid out for the case, which, at the earliest, slots the trial for sometime late next year.

This is not the first time a settlement has seemed within reach. The conventions were reportedly near a deal earlier this year, with Brandenburg saying last January that they hoped to start a "bromance" with San Diego. But talks broke down in July; Brandenburg said they were unwilling to give San Diego what it wanted.

San Diego has demanded that Salt Lake change its name and suggested it adopt the name of its sister event, FanX, for both conventions.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2015, 09:05:50 AM »
I've thought a lot about this and I am not opposed to other cons having to drop the comic con off of their name.   SDCC built this brand.   I am always explaining to people that they are different companies and that the one in Denver is not Comic Con traveling from state to to state.   The general public does not see these cons as separate companies.  Denver had a problem a few years ago where they were accused of not actually using the funds for non-profit, if it had gotten national attention then it very well could have reflected badly on other cons.  I believe the funds are frozen from that non profit and they had to start a new one and get a new board.

Also other cons are making money off a brand that SDCC already established, no reason they shouldn't see some of the money go towards their cause.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2015, 09:08:19 AM »
When I think Comic Con, I think San Diego.  Period.  I hope the judge will be swayed by my post.  ;)
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2015, 10:34:20 PM »

S.L. Comic Con founders report progress in trademark dispute as they prep for next event

SALT LAKE CITY - On the eve of guest announcements for its next pop culture event, Salt Lake Comic Con founders reported positive negotiations with their San Diego rival in an ongoing trademark dispute.

Bryan Brandenburg, the popular Utah convention's chief marketing officer, spoke optimistically Monday about a conference with representatives from San Diego Comic-Con. The two comic and pop culture events are approaching a possible settlement in their trademark lawsuit over use of the name "comic con."

"We met with the principal of San Diego Comic Con in negotiating settlements and have made significant progress," Brandenburg said.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Patent and Trademark office on Monday suspended a dispute between the two over Salt Lake Comic Con's trademark on its name, which was awarded in July. The suspension puts San Diego's opposition to the trademark on hold pending the outcome of the federal case.

Salt Lake Comic Con founders have said the trademark, which protected the name of their event while stipulating the term "comic con" was too generic on its own, speaks to the strength of their case.

In its complaint to the patent office, San Diego Comic-Con contends similar names between the two events causes confusion.

San Diego Comic-Con, a fixture in pop culture, filed a trademark violation lawsuit against Salt Lake's startup event in August 2014 after the Utah convention became an overnight success. In the lawsuit, the San Diego convention claims legal ownership over the term "comic con" in its various forms, though similar events around the country use it.

San Diego Comic-Con holds the trademark on "comic-con," with a hyphen, but abandoned its 1995 bid for the rights to "comic con" with a space.

Meanwhile, Salt Lake Comic Con has continued its steady march of popular events. On Tuesday, organizers will begin guest announcements for their FanX event, coming March 24-26.

Salt Lake Comic Con put on its third convention in September, drawing at least 120,000 fans, attracting A-list celebrities like "Captain America" star Chris Evans, and setting a world record for the largest meet-up of costumed comic book fans.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2015, 07:53:33 AM »
It's always eye-rollingly annoying to see businesses or non-profits tread on the reputations that its predecessors or rivals have built over decades.  In this case, I did see the SLCC car driving around San Diego and it was fairly deceiving and looked to me to be intentionally misleading, emphasizing COMIC-CON and de-emphasizing salt lake city.  I get that there are a ton of comic and pop culture conventions popping up in order to fill a niche that a particular market/city doesn't have.  But deliberately targeting business the way SLCC organizations aggressively tried in San Diego a few years back seems tacky and desperate, and I don't have any problem with CCI going calling out the tackiness and going after trademark disputes.

That being said, lawsuits are for companies to fight over, not for me to worry too much about.  I've only been to Utah via a layover in their airport and can't imagine I would go there anytime in the near future.  They went a bit aggressive with their marketing and got called nailed for it, but who am I to begrudge another comic convention?

Offline Bert Su

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2016, 09:45:20 PM »
When I think Comic Con, I think San Diego.  Period.  I hope the judge will be swayed by my post.  ;)
Comic Con is not a patented word or invention. It's two regular words put together, often to describe a show with comic vendors. So I hope judge let's SLCC slide on this one
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to my YouTube channel for Transformers reviews

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2016, 10:48:03 AM »
Comic Con is not a patented word or invention. It's two regular words put together, often to describe a show with comic vendors. So I hope judge let's SLCC slide on this one
But the "word"/phrase/designation COULD be a trademark, patented as it regards to specifically comic convention events.  I honestly don't know the legal specifics, but I do know that CCI has been aggressive in protecting their "brand" with lawsuits and such.  It's possible the judge won't force SLCC to change their name, but possibly change their branding in order to better conform to CCI's "Comic-Con" trademark

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
  • It's all the same to the many faced god.
  • Liked: 691
« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2016, 01:08:32 PM »
This is crazy. I went to SLCC in September and was completely underwhelmed. They are certainly no threat to SDCC. I mean I get that it's not about that but if they want to worry about a nearby con, go after Phoenix. (actually don't, I love Phoenix CC)

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2016, 04:28:58 PM »
SDCC have nothing to worry about since they're still the #1 pop culture/comic convention in the U.S. They attract the film studios/TV networks, comic publishers, book publishers, major media outlets, etc. SLCC are not a threat to SDCC....they just pissed them off with the car etc.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 01:37:08 PM by riotgirl77 »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2016, 08:12:48 AM »
This is crazy. I went to SLCC in September and was completely underwhelmed. They are certainly no threat to SDCC. I mean I get that it's not about that but if they want to worry about a nearby con, go after Phoenix. (actually don't, I love Phoenix CC)
I don't know how much it has to do with "threat," and more to do with trademark/copyright infringement. 
I honestly don't know the legal minutia, but I get the impression CCI will aggressively go after ANY organization that they feel infringes on their trademark.  Reading a bit about the lawsuit, I personally don't begrudge CCI defending their trademark; I also don't begrudge Salt Lake their convention.  The two parties just need to reach a settlement where Salt Lake doesn't violate CCI's trademark term (which is definitely "Comic-Con," and may be "Comic Con" depending on explicit ruling).  It's simple semantics, as I see it; I get Salt Lake not wanting to change their name/re-brand what they've built.  I have little doubt this will end amicably for both sides.

Also, while I understand the argument of Salt Lake wanting to advertise their event at the largest comic/pop culture convention in the country, it was probably not the best idea to so as brazenly as they did awhile back.  I suspect they drew unwanted attention from CCI (and CCI's lawyers) when SLCC drove around with potentially misleading signage.  It's probably OK to want to emulate the large, successful Comic-Con, but not-so-OK to seemingly rip-off their trademark and branding likeness  ;)  The signage (it was a car or van driving around with graphics on the sides) wasn't exactly the same, but I think the image(s) and font were close enough to upset CCI's law team

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2016, 02:10:11 PM »

Promising sign emerges that Salt Lake, San Diego Comic-Con are close to settling

Salt Lake Comic Con and San Diego Comic-Con are so close to a settlement, a judge has given them time to focus on that, rather than steps toward their federal trial.

The two pop-culture conventions have been on track for a trademark-infringement trial after San Diego sued Salt Lake in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California in 2014, claiming its name is too similar. But on Thursday, attorneys for both conventions asked Magistrate Judge Jan Adler to extend a procedural deadline so that they could work "diligently" on a settlement.

On Friday, Adler agreed.

"Drafts of the agreement have been exchanged," according to the Thursday court filing requesting the extension, "and the parties hope to soon reach agreement as to all terms."

The terms of the settlement, in their current state, "are very similar" to those discussed at a Nov. 23 meeting, according to the filing. Those terms have not been publicized.

In prior court documents, San Diego had suggested Salt Lake use the name of its sister, spring-time event, "FanX," for both of its events.

Technically, San Diego has the hyphenated "Comic-Con" trademarked, not "Comic Con." However, its legal team has argued that the similarity of "Comic Con" in Salt Lake's name, without the hyphen, has confused people into thinking the event is somehow associated with San Diego's convention.

As Salt Lake's organizers have seen it, the legal battle isn't just between them and the flagship convention; it's a threat to the dozens of other comic book conventions around the world that also use "comic con" in their names. Salt Lake Comic Con co-founder and chief marketing officer Bryan Brandenburg previously asserted that if San Diego wins the case, the precedent will allow it to do this to other organizations.

The recent talks are not the first time the conventions have tried to negotiate. About a year ago, the two talked for months, and even reportedly neared a settlement, with Brandenburg saying they hoped to start a "bromance" with the larger convention. Those talks broke down earlier last July.

But when attorneys for the two conventions met again in late October, "we felt that everybody was still trying to work toward settlement in good faith," said C.J. Veverka, an attorney for Salt Lake.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2016, 10:13:36 AM »

Dueling comic cons nearing deal in court trademark battle

The organizers of Salt Lake Comic Con and San Diego Comic-Con are inching closer to settling a court battle over naming rights. Lawyers for the two pop-culture conventions said they have been able to resolve many of their disagreements over whether the names are too similar, and are working on the remaining sticking points. They asked a federal judge to give them more time, until March 1, to work on a possible agreement, according to court documents filed Friday in Southern California.

San Diego Comic-Con, considered the flagship of the popular convention circuit, filed a trademark violation lawsuit against the rapidly growing Salt Lake convention in August 2014. The California organizers say they have legal ownership of the term "comic con" in all its forms, and the name of the Salt Lake event is so similar that people will think they are affiliated. Salt Lake says it's a general term used by similar events around the country and the lawsuit has more to do with their growing popularity. The U.S. Patent and Trademark office is withholding judgment. It suspended its own ruling in November until the federal case could be resolved. In July, the office awarded Salt Lake Comic Con a trademark for its name. Officials said "comic con" was too generic to trademark but "Salt Lake Comic Con" was specific enough to qualify. While the Utah organizers called that a decisive step, San Diego disagreed.

Settlement talks have broken down before. The case appeared headed for trial last summer, but by late fall they were back on track. The long-established San Diego Comic-Con started in 1970. Since then, it has grown into the Holy Grail of pop culture conventions, drawing self-described geeks in elaborate costumes as well as Hollywood studios and actors looking to create buzz for upcoming projects. In comparison, the Salt Lake Comic Con debuted in September 2013 with an estimated 72,000 people turning out. More than 120,000 people attended the three-day convention the following year. The convention scored its top celebrity appearance to date when Captain America himself, Chris Evans, attended last year's event.

>:D >:D >:D

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2016, 10:51:26 AM »

In Comic-Con v. Comic Con, Proceedings Are Opaque

LOS ANGELES - From Hollywood’s court docket: “Off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush.”

Those breathy words were delivered by Danny DeVito in the film “L.A. Confidential.” And they pretty much apply to any information about the inner workings of Comic-Con International that might figure in an federal trademark suit by Comic-Con against the operators of a similarly named, but unrelated, Salt Lake Comic Con.

In January, Magistrate Judge Jan M. Adler issued a protective order sealing any confidential business information filed by either side. That means all the disclosures about pricing, customers, contracts, conversations and such will be marked “Confidential - Attorney’s Eyes Only,” and kept away from outsiders who wonder what makes the giant, annual San Diego convention tick.

(This year’s convention starts on Thursday, July 21, with a preview the night before, and concludes July 24.)

Even the lawyers involved have had a tough time prying loose some of that information.

In a joint motion filed with the United States District Court in San Diego on March 1, lawyers for Dan Farr Productions, which operates the Salt Lake convention, complained that representatives of the San Diego event were withholding important information about attendee complaints, ticket refunds or investigations by state, federal or other government entities.

In the same joint motion, lawyers for San Diego Comic-Con said that the convention was meeting its obligations to provide information, would make disclosures when its experts had had a chance to decide what was relevant, and objected to requests designed “to harass and annoy” it.

Magistrate Judge Adler has scheduled a hearing for 9:30 a.m. on Friday. But resolution of the case, which was filed in mid-2014, appears distant.