Author Topic: Presidential election 2016  (Read 48491 times)

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
Re: Republican Candidate Debates
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2016, 06:53:48 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So I've got to answer all their bloody questions so they'll stop calling?

I never answered one poll or took one political call and yet they are still calling me
I stopped answering my phone unless I know the number. Straight to the answering machine you go if I do not know you. Lol.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Online alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2016, 07:06:39 PM »
the upcoming sched

be warned

February 20, 2016
South Carolina
Number of Delegates: 50 Total Delegates

February 23, 2016
Nevada
Number of Delegates: 30 Total Delegates

March 1, 2016
Alabama
Number of Delegates: 50 Total Delegates

Alaska
Number of Delegates: 28 Total Delegates

Arkansas
Number of Delegates: 40 Total Delegates

Colorado
Number of Delegates: 37 Total Delegates

Georgia
Number of Delegates: 76 Total Delegates

Massachusetts
Number of Delegates: 42 Total Delegates

Minnesota
Number of Delegates: 38 Total Delegates

Oklahoma
Number of Delegates: 43 Total Delegates

Tennessee
Number of Delegates: 58 Total Delegates

Texas
Number of Delegates: 155 Total Delegates

Vermont
Number of Delegates: 16 Total Delegates

Virginia
Number of Delegates: 49 Total Delegates

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Presidential election 2016
« Reply #92 on: Today at 11:42:13 PM »

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2016, 07:12:56 PM »
I want the pain to end soon.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2016, 09:10:30 PM »
Look at it this way... At least you get a say! By the time it reaches us, the contest is already decided.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2016, 09:37:07 PM »
Look at it this way... At least you get a say! By the time it reaches us, the contest is already decided.

Yep. I have a friend who is deeply torn between the Democratic candidates... I told her not to worry about it, it'll be over for all intents and purposes before we vote.

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2016, 11:37:14 PM »
It's so antiquated. In virtually every other country, there is an exhaustive and/or preferential ballot used to select party leaders at a national convention that also includes mail-in and internet voting.
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2016, 04:39:23 AM »
I was telling a friend yesterday I am tired of the constant campaigning. I think a 10 month freeze after the election would be great. These people then can actually do work instead of talk talk talk.

The phrase - what have you done for me lately comes to mind. 

Online alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2016, 04:45:44 AM »

i don't recall specifically but didn't it take a **long** time to decided the obama vs. clinton race 8 years ago?  plus CA has a **lot** of delegates.

i also wonder if the Kasich message will resonate-  i would like to think it will.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 05:16:57 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2016, 09:44:19 AM »
California has a lot of delegates, but we always have one of the last primaries. I don't know why this is. IMHO, every state should have their primary on the same day and be done with it. California tried to move up their primary a few years ago and make it earlier (it's usually in June) but then all of the other states it 'jumped' moved theirs too, so we were still one of the last ones to go. I think the state officials here just gave up.

I don't know about Obama/Clinton, but I do know that I have never once voted in a primary (and I vote in *every* election) when the winner wasn't a foregone conclusion, because the race had already been effectively decided.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2016, 09:58:16 AM »
IMHO, every state should have their primary on the same day and be done with it.

It's the only fair way, really. I understand that it wasn't really possible when the US started having primaries, but there's absolutely no logical reason why we wouldn't do it all on the same day now. (I know there are *political* reasons, I just don't think they're *good* reasons.)

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2016, 10:30:35 AM »
I am all in for a one day primary. Let them tour for a month or 2 and then cut the stuff down.

I would like to see more news stories on positive things for a while.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2016, 10:31:04 AM »
I am all in for a one day primary. Let them tour for a month or 2 and then cut the stuff down.

I would like to see more news stories on positive things for a while.

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2016, 02:03:51 PM »
i don't recall specifically but didn't it take a **long** time to decided the obama vs. clinton race 8 years ago?  plus CA has a **lot** of delegates.

i also wonder if the Kasich message will resonate-  i would like to think it will.
In 08, CA held their primary on Super Tuesday. About 50% of all delegates were chosen on Super Tuesday during that election. By the end of February, Obama a comfortable lead. It would have taken something dramatic for Hillary to overtake him. That's why she campaigned so hard to get Michigan and Florida's results included, and started race-baiting in the spring. (Everyone seems to forget how disgusting her campaign was towards the end.) Also, Hillary carried CA, NY, OH, ultimately got the MICH and FLA delegates, and basically drew even in Texas, yet still lost the nomination. The smaller states delivered for Obama, including red-states that went for McCain in the general. It was strange.

I think Kasich is setting himself up nicely for the VP slot, contingent on his ability to deliver Ohio in the general.
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Online alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2016, 04:18:28 PM »
It's the only fair way, really. I understand that it wasn't really possible when the US started having primaries, but there's absolutely no logical reason why we wouldn't do it all on the same day now. (I know there are *political* reasons, I just don't think they're *good* reasons.)

k, i gotta weight in here.  the advantage of having one small state go first is twofold, first since we don't have a lot of people it is possible to hear and judge most of the candidates without going through the media filter.  that would not be possible in a larger state, like NY or CA- this is old school political stumping for votes.  It's very different listening to these politicians then gleaning info off a debate or commercials. i got to see 4 speeches, of them, the most authentic seeming politician was Christie & Rubio was indeed the most slick with the caned talking points.  I would have liked to have seen Kaichi (i am still not getting that spelling). Burnie is what he is and clinton isn't a great speaker, she goes from 2 min segment to 2 min segment.

second, the population takes it's job seriously, there's been a lot of jokes abt the undecided voter- i was one- i waited till there was one person ahead of me in line before i decided which party i was going to vote in and therefor which person.   My delay in deciding wasn't due to not being informed, it was due to wanting to be sure it was the correct choice for me. it boiled down to do i vote for someone or against someone.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2016, 04:52:46 PM »
k, i gotta weight in here.  the advantage of having one small state go first is twofold, first since we don't have a lot of people it is possible to hear and judge most of the candidates without going through the media filter.  that would not be possible in a larger state, like NY or CA- this is old school political stumping for votes.  It's very different listening to these politicians then gleaning info off a debate or commercials. i got to see 4 speeches.

No, I totally agree that it's an invaluable opportunity to see the candidates up close, get a feel for them, and really compare and contrast both how they seem as people and what their policy positions are.

But the fact that it only happens in the first couple of states on the primary calendar is inherently unfair to the rest of the electorate.

If this old-school campaigning is to remain a facet of our voting system, the only fair way to do it would be to rotate the primary calendar so that each state got a chance to be among the first 1-3 states to vote. Large-population states like CA and NY would still be at a disadvantage then (it's obviously possible to personally greet a much larger percentage of the NH electorate than the CA electorate in one week, or even in one place), but only in the way that they always are (i.e. there will always be good things and bad things about being from a "big" state).